- inexpensive white rice (1 cup for each color)
- white vinegar (1/2 tsp for each color)
- food colouring
- plastic container with lid (margarine container, ziplock food storage container, etc.)
- baking sheet or pie plate (something to dry your rice)
- pillar candle
- large vase
How To Dye Rice:
1. Pour one cup of rice into a container.
2. Add some food coloring and the 1/2 tsp of vinegar, and snap the lid on your container.
3. Now for the fun part! SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!
4. Once your rice is evenly colored, dump it out on your baking sheet to dry for a day or two. Give the container a wipe and a rinse, and proceed with your next color!
5. Once full dry, layer your colored rice into your vases; add candle. Enjoy!
NOTE: Colored rice will keep indefinitely when stored in an air-tight container.
source: Rhonda Patton Weddings & Events