Chocolate Chip Cookie Icebox Cake
Recipe Type: Desserts
The cake starts out sturdy but then softens overnight in the fridge. At that point, it can be sliced into pieces like a traditional cake.
- 4 cups cold heavy cream
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon whiskey (optional)
- 8 dozen chocolate chip cookies (2 ¼ inches, baked until crisp)
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
- Whisk 3 cups cream and the mascarpone in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and whiskey. Whisk until medium-stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use (or up to 3 hours).
- Arrange 9 cookies in a circle (with cookies touching) on a cake stand or plate. Place 2 cookies in center. Carefully spread 1 cup cream mixture evenly over cookies, leaving a slight border. Repeat to form 7 more layers, ending with cookies (you’ll have a few cookies left over). Refrigerate, lightly draped with plastic wrap, overnight.
- Whisk remaining cup cream until soft peaks form. Spread over top of cake just before serving. Garnish with shavings.
Copyright © 2011, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. Originally published in the July 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine.