Wedding Food Ideas: DIY Pink Popcorn
Recipe Type: Desserts
Serves: 12 Cups
Cute and tasty Pink Popcorn Recipe!
- 12 cups popped popcorn (the original calls for 6 quarts but I wanted less popcorn, more candy)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 to 3 small drops of red food coloring (do not use gel, my first batch was too dark from it, I prefer the liquid for this particular recipe. Go light and work from there.)
- Pop up your popcorn. I did mine on the stove old school style. Which for those of you who only do microwave popcorn means you pour some oil in a large stock pot, let the oil get hot, then place popcorn kernels in the bottom and cover with a lid. Then you wait for the magic to happen. Swish the pot around from time to time to keep things from burning and do not go too hot. You want a medium heat or you’ll scorch it.
- Set popcorn aside.
- In a saucepan combine your sugar, milk, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat until your sugar dissolves.
- Now you want it at a low boil until the temperature reaches 230 degrees which is known as soft ball stage. If you do not have a thermometer you can grab a glass of super cold water, drop a little of the mixture in it, now grab that mixture with your fingers and if it forms a ball in the water then flattens out after it’s out of the water that is soft ball stage. You can probably find videos of this online if you aren’t quite sure what this all means.
- Stir occasionally until it reaches soft ball stage and then remove from heat, and add your vanilla and food coloring. Stir well.
- Now put your popcorn in a large bowl or even a big roasting pan. You want to have ample room to stir it really well.
- Now pour your pink mixture over top and stir well to coat.
- Now line a cookie sheet with parchment and transfer the popcorn to that to let it dry out.
- Try not to eat a boatload while waiting for it to cool. Impossible, trust me!
- Serve with a big old pink grin!
[b]Tips and Hints:[/b][br]Never pour piping hot candy mixture right over popcorn. Same principle as butter. If you pour if over while it’s still boiling it will shrink and shrivel your popcorn.[br][br]You can use regular salt in this recipe, or make some yummy Vanilla Salt![br][br][br][b]Original Recipe Source:[/b] Nan’s Recipe Spot
source: Cravings of a Lunatic